Monday, October 22, 2007

Uh Oh






















When someone gets too drunk on a night out, they usually ask some basic questions the next morning. Where are my car keys? What assholish things did I say? Who is this lying next to me? I've got a splitting headache; where is my bag?


For me, however, I only had one horrifying question when I woke up Sunday morning:
Why oh why is the Calexico Live DVD playing on the TV?


It's not that I dislike Calexico; they're one of my favorite bands, and the DVD is great. In the year 2003, 95% of my sentences included a reference to Calexico. But, jesus, something must have really triggered me to put this thing on late Saturday night, and it couldn't have been good.


It was a party in Northern Liberties, and when I arrived I was in the drunk but not too drunk "sweet spot". Even though I can't remember a single damn thing I said while I was there, I could tell from people's faces that I was being entertaining for at least 20 mins. Then it all caught up to me, and let me tell you, those faces began to tell a different story.


I can see it now: I'm interjecting in some group conversation about brunch the next morning to discuss the merits of the album Hot Rail.
-

I start talking about Plaxico Burress to a bunch of people who aren't even sports fans, in which I eventually change the subject to Calexico because it rhymes with "Plaxico".


Let establish a rule here. If you get too drunk and go 'music nerd' on someone, you aren't even being an effective drunk. At least grab an ass or something.


So, anyone who has at that party, and can confirm that I indeed went Calexico on someone, spare me the details. It's all too much.

No comments: